IF YOU WANT TO REALLY TRAIN FOR THE UPCOMING CROSS COUNTRY SEASON JOIN THE SUMMER STRIDERS XC PREP PROGRAM NOW!
The Summer Striders is a resource designed for high school and college age runners pursuing excellence in cross country. Coaches will tell you that XC champions and championship teams are made in the summer! Athletes will meet 3 times a week (Listed below) to complete a variety of training runs designed to help the athlete build a solid base and transition smoothly into the fall XC season. All runs and workouts will be designed based on the athlete’s current fitness level and there will be a variety of training groups for runners of differing ability levels.
This program is for those high school and college age distance runners wanting to work out with others during the Summer. Coaches Shadrick, Dickerson, Rogers and Lang will lead the program.
Come as often as you can and want to. Running at least 4 days every week this Summer will give you a chance to stay healthy this Fall when you join your high school team and will be running 6 days a week.
If you have any questions email Coach Zack Dickerson (Zachary_Dickerson@hcpss.org)
Consider running the Baltimore Running Series events (5k on June 18 on a XC course in Cockeysville and 10k on the roads in Arbutus on July 4) – http://www.bullseyerunning.com/event/baltimore-summer-series-5k-and-10k-special-double-side-medal/.
Note there are 3 person coed teams at the June 18 event.
If at least 25 of you participate in both of these events we will have a pizza and pool party after one of the practices in late July!!!
- ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST BE ABLE TO RUN 3 MILES WITHOUT WALKING BEFORE JOINING THIS PROGRAM
- DON’T WAIT TILL JUNE 9 TO START RUNNING IF YOU HAVEN’T BEEN RUNNING
- Program will start and end at times listed above so need to bring a cell phone or other valuables as they will be left unattended if you do
- Bring a water bottle to every practice
- Must stay on the running course designed by coaches at every practice
- You will check in at the beginning of every practice and, IMPORTANT, check out before leaving every practice
June 9 to August 10
Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays
Practices will start Thursday June 9
- Mondays – 6:00 to 7:15pm – Oakland Mills HS (Meet in back parking lot)
- Thursdays – 6:00 to 7:15pm – Centennial HS (Meet by tennis courts)
- Saturdays – 8:00 to 9:30am – Howard HS (Meet by tennis courts)
- Structured and coach supported training sessions three times a week (Various workouts and long runs included)
- Integration of your coach’s summer training program
- Performance education: goal setting, tactical aspects of racing, recovery techniques, and proper equipment usage.
- Free Summer Striders T-Shirt
- Gatorade / Recovery Drinks after Saturday Long Runs
- 10% Discount at Feet First (Wilde Lake Village Center) during the summer